The House is planning to pass a budget that will begin the process of repealing the Affordable Care Act (ACA) TODAY, JANUARY 13. The Senate passed it very early this morning. This is the first step in taking health care away before having a plan to replace it.
People's health and lives are at stake! We need advocates to reach out to their Representatives to let them know why the ACA is such an essential lifeline for people with disabilities and their families.
The ACA is the most significant law for people with disabilities since the Americans with Disabilities Act:
• Because of the ACA, health insurers can't deny you health insurance if you have a disability or chronic condition.
• Because of the ACA, there aren't arbitrary financial limits to how much health care you can get in a year or in your lifetime.
• Because of the ACA, more people with disabilities receive supports and live in the community, not institutions.
• Because of the ACA, 20 million adults and children now have health insurance, thanks to the Medicaid Expansion and the health insurance subsidies.
For additional information, see The Arc's fact sheet about the ACA.
Call your Representatives today. EVERY call matters. Don't let them take away health care for millions of people unless they replace it with a plan that maintains or improves existing coverage and access.
What to Say:
• I am a member of The Arc.
• Do NOT repeal with ACA without a good replacement.
• The ACA helps me/my family member to have health care and community based services.